Getting the most out of your maternity clothes
When I first discovered I was pregnant in the summer of 2012, I was so excited to finally be able to shop for maternity clothing! I hit the mall, and with no consideration to fit, fabric or style, pieced together my first maternity wardrobe.
Oh, how I wish I had put a bit more thought into my purchases! I outgrew some of the clothes before I even made it to my last trimester, which meant having to invest in more clothing to get through the last months. And a lot of the other pieces that still “fit” were faded, pilled or had completely lost their shape and had to be tossed. Total fail.
When I got pregnant with my second daughter, I vowed to change the way I shopped for maternity clothes. I wanted clothing that would last and most of all, I wanted to look and feel like myself!
I found some great local maternity shops and invested in quality maternity clothing that could be worn with other items already in my wardrobe (like cardigans and blazers). And you know what happened? I felt SO much better about the way I looked (apparently a fitted black dress can do that!). Even better, the pieces I purchased actually lasted from months 1 to 10 AND the majority of them were incorporated into my forever wardrobe! Seriously! I am still wearing (by choice!) some of my “maternity” clothing 10 months post-partum and you would never know!
If you are looking to get the most out of your maternity clothing too, then here are a few tips that I always give my customers when they come in for a maternity wardrobe consult:
- Look for ruching! It’s super comfortable, molds to your body shape (big or small), hides unwanted lines/lumps/bumps, flatters throughout your pregnancy AND can easily be worn after baby arrives.
- Pick clothing that can double as nursing wear. This will save you from having to buy more clothing once your pregnancy is over and it’s typically made to fit and flatter post-pregnancy.
- Don’t assume you need to buy empire waist clothing. Once baby arrives, an empire waist top or dress will likely be the last piece of clothing you reach for as this style tends to accentuate the post-baby belly in ways most women want to avoid!
- Try on the under-belly pant! The over-belly panel will sag once baby is born while the under-belly will continue to provide the comfort and stretch you need until you can squeeze back into your pre-pregnancy pants.
- Visit the tailor! You love that maternity dress that you only wore a handful of times but is a bit too baggy? Bring it to the tailor! Tailors can make things shorter, make things longer and make things more fitted. Don’t be afraid to spend a little bit of money to keep some of your most loved pieces in your wardrobe!
Want to know more? Book a personal shopping consultation with me! We can discuss your current wardrobe and figure out the best investment pieces for you. Not local? I’m only a phone call away!